Change is the norm. You are responsible for your own productivity and that of your staff. Your day-to-day dealings may now include colleagues, your boss, and senior management who all have different interests and viewpoints.
This seminar will equip you with proven supervisory techniques that you can put into action immediately. The skills savvy supervisors use to plan, organize, communicate and monitor will become part of your toolkit to effectively manage everyday interactions with greater ease. You will learn to leverage both your hard skills and your people skills to meet your new challenges with increased confidence, respect and power.
Different Supervisory Styles
• Understanding the three supervisory styles
• Practicing when and how to use each supervisory style
• Understanding and adapting to your manager’s style
• Anticipating your manager’s needs and fulfilling them
• Developing the best possible relationship with your manager
Managing a Diverse Workforce
• How diversity affects you, your work unit, your company
• Applying inclusivity to your team
Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
• Understanding the Equal Employment Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), hostile environment, and other key laws and legal terms
• Knowing your ethical responsibilities and making ethical decisions
Creating a Motivational Environment
• Understanding the common workplace motivators and reinforcements
• Practicing the rules for reinforcing productive behavior
• Developing a strategy for solving a current employee motivational problem
• Demonstrating active listening to show understanding and check content
• Asking questions that uncover valuable information and strengthen the relationship
Great Performance Through Coaching
• Demonstrating giving and receiving feedback constructively
• Assessing your own strengths and development needs as a coach
• Asking questions that increase employees’ self-awareness and accountability
• Demonstrating the AMA GUIDE coaching model
Managing Performance Appraisals
• Understanding the importance of quarterly performance alignment discussions
• Conducting a performance appraisal meeting and keeping records
• Coping with employee reactions
Delegation as a Motivational Tool–to Develop and Motivate
• What to delegate, to whom to delegate, and how to delegate
Planning for Continuing Growth
This Seminar Features Blended Learning
AMA Blended Learning combines instructor-led training with online pre- and post-seminar assessments, tune-up courses and other resources to maximize your training goals. Through a blend of proven instructor-led seminars and powerful online technology, AMA Blended Learning provides a compelling and more comprehensive experience for the learner—producing a greater return-on-investment for the employer and the seminar participant.
Course: Management Skills for New Supervisors
Looking for Group eLearning Options?
Get your team access to 4,000+ top courses anytime, anywhere.Request On-Site Training
|Location||Date & Time||Duration||
If you cannot attend an event, you may send someone else in your place. If that isn’t an option for you, cancellations received up to five working days before the event are refundable, minus a registration service charge ($10 for one-day events; $25 for multiple-day events). After that, cancellations are subject to the entire seminar fee, which you may apply toward a future seminar. Please note that if you don’t cancel and don’t attend, you are still responsible for payment.